Creating Custom Question Surveys in EvaluationKIT
Link to Creating Custom Question Surveys in EvaluationKIT
The instructions below will show you how to:
- Create a Custom Questions Survey.
- Create questions and add them to the survey.
- Attach the survey to a Project (e.g. Spring 2016 Main Session Course Evaluation).
- Select the courses you wish to add the survey to.
- Custom Question Surveys ALWAYS appear at the end of the Main Course Evaluation.
- There is a maximum of 5 custom questions per survey, to abate student survey fatigue.
Creating a Custom Questions Survey/Adding Questions
- From the EvaluationKIT Homepage, go to Custom Questions (bottom of the page)
- Click on the Project Name. Projects that are open and you have access to will appear as a link.
- Create New Survey.
- Give the survey a Title and Description, then Save New.
- Add Question, and select what types of questions you’d like to add (see below for tips).
- When you’re done adding questions, click Cancel.
- You’ll receive a pop-up message reminding you to attach your survey to the project, click OK.
- To add the survey to the course evaluation project, click Add Custom Questions Survey.
- Click Select next to the survey you wish to add, and then Select Courses.
- Click the Add Courses button, to view a list of your courses for that project.
- Choose which courses you’d like to have the custom questions survey attached to, then click Add Selected Courses.
- A confirmation window will pop-up letting you know you’ve successfully added the custom questions survey, click OK.
- You’ll then be returned to the course evaluation project main page. Here you can see the custom question survey you’ve added and the number of courses it’s attached to.
Editing a Custom Questions Survey
- From the EvaluationKIT Homepage, click on Custom Questions Survey at top of your screen.
- Click on the Edit icon next to the survey you want to edit.
- To edit an existing question – click on the Edit icon to the right of the question.
- To create a new question – click on Select Question Type at the bottom of the page.
Tips on How to Create Custom Questions
- View the Main Course Evaluation questions to ensure you are not repeating a question
- EvaluationKIT homepage, under the Custom Questions label select the project
- Click on View Main Survey for this Project, to this allow you to preview the Main Course Evaluation.
- Keep your questions short and focused. This will help both quality and quantity of responses.
- Keep the questions simple. Avoid using jargon or asking multiple questions within one question.
- Use closed ended questions whenever possible.
- Keep rating scale questions consistent throughout the survey.
- A common rating scale used in the Likert Scale (used on the Main Course Evaluation): Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree
- Include Non-Numeric Option, enter ‘N/A’ into the text box.
- Select Reverse Code Response Option – changing to a 5-1 weighted answers
- Avoid making questions required. If a student doesn’t know how to answer a required question there is a greater chance they will abandon the survey.
- Types of Questions you can create:
- Single Selection: the student will pick from one of many options. This works best for yes/no and likert-type scale questions and can be formatted both vertically and horizontally.
- Multiple Selection Question: allows a student to check all that apply and is only appropriate when asking the student to select multiple or potentially multiple responses from multiple options.
- Matrix Question: has a common response scale and multiple items being evaluated on the same response scale. Here, the student would go through and respond to the different items for one response scale.
- Numeric Selection Question: allows you to setup numeric ranges and the student can then input a numeric selection based on that range.
- Open-Ended Text Response Question: for write-in responses and/or comments.