Exporting & Importing Moodle Grade Items with Excel
Exporting to Excel
From within your course in Moodle, open your grade book by selecting Grades from the Navigation block menu, click the Export tab, and then click the Excel spreadsheet link.
In the Grade items to be included section, select or unselect the check boxes next to the items you want (or don’t want) included in the Excel file. When finished, click the Download button at the bottom of the page.
Depending on how your web browser settings are, you will get a pop-up that asks you if you want to Open with Microsoft Excel or Save File. Select which option you want and click the OK button.
You should now be able to manipulate the file in Excel.
Importing from Excel
Setup your Excel spreadsheet or use a spreadsheet exported out from Moodle.
- Make sure your first line includes headings only, not information. These do not have to match the names of items in Moodle.
- Make sure you do not have any %, !, or other symbols/formula’s in the headings.
Save your Excel spreadsheet as a .csv file.
- If you use formulas, copy and paste the information you want to import in a separate file, make sure you paste the totals and not the formulas.
- You may receive an alert from Excel about the possibility of losing capabilities by saving as a .csv file from an .xlsx or .xls file, this is okay.
Open your grade book and click the Import tab. Click the CSV file link, upload your .csv file, then click the Upload grades button at the bottom.
Under Identify user by make sure you:
- Map from: ID number or what you have designated the column in your spreadsheet holding NMCids.
- Map to: useridnumber.
Under Grade item mappings make sure you ignore all items except the graded items you would like to import. On import items, either:
- Select the Grade item name used in your Moodle gradebook, or
- Select new gradeitem for items that are new to your grade book. NOTE: if you use new gradeitem, Moodle will import your grade as a percentage (out of 100 pts.) by default. Either manipulate your grades as a percentage on the import, or adjust the points in the grade book after.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Upload grades
- Moodle will inform you as to a successful upload and notify you of any information that did not get updated due to a mismatch in NMCid.
- View your grade book to verify the import.