There are two parts to creating a Quiz in Moodle:
- Creating the Quiz shell
- Adding the questions
Creating the Quiz Shell
Step 1: In your course, click on Course management and select Turn editing on from the pop-up, then in the topic area you would like to place a Quiz activity, click the Add an activity or resource link located at the bottom. Select Quiz and click the Add button.
Step 2: Enter a Name for the quiz and work through the possible quiz settings.
- Timing: If you wish, set a date for when the quiz opens, closes, how long students have to take the quiz, and what happens to a quiz attempt when the time allotted expires.
- Grade: Select the Grade category the quiz should be listed in your grade book, how many attempts the students are allowed, and your Grading method.
- Layout: Change the order questions appear in the quiz by selecting to shuffle them. Select start a New page to place each question on its own page. Note: it is recommended to break your quiz up into pages of at least 5 questions a page. Every time a student clicks the Next button to go to another page, their answers are saved.
- Question behavior: these settings control whether you shuffle the answers around in multiple choice type questions, if each attempt builds on the last, and when feedback is given for each question.
- Review Options: These settings are important–they control what information students can see when they review a quiz attempt. At the very minimum it is suggested that you have The attempt, Whether correct, and Points check marked under Immediately after the attempt and Later, while the quiz is still open. For After the quiz is closed all should be check marked.
Step 3: When you are finished with your settings, click the Save and return to course button at the bottom of the page.
Adding Quiz Questions
Step 1: Click on the quiz to open it, and then click the Edit quiz button.
Step 2: Enter the Maximum grade points for the quiz and click Save.
Step 3: Click the Add drop down menu located in the lower right of the Editing quiz window and select whether you want to + a new question, + from question bank, or + a random question.
Adding new question(s)
Adding a new question is the Add activity that allows you to create your own questions.
Step 1: Once you select + a new question, the Choose a question type to add box opens, select the question type and click the Add button at the bottom.
Step 2: Under Category, use the drop down menu to select the category to save the question in. Enter the Question name, and then enter your question in the Question text box provided.
Step 3: From here, depending on the question type you are setting up, follow through putting in your possible answers and noting the correct answer, and any feedback.
Step 4: When you are finished, click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page. You are returned to the Editing quiz window and your new question is now listed.
Adding a question from a bank
Adding from question bank is the Add activity that allows you to add questions from a pre-created (or uploaded) question bank.
Step 1: Once you select + from question bank, the Add from the question bank window opens, then from the Select a category drop down menu, select the category/bank you want to choose questions from.
Step 2: For an individual question click the plus (+) sign located next to the question to add it the quiz.
Step 3: If you want multiple questions, scroll through the list and check the check box for each question, when finished click the Add selected questions to the quiz button at the bottom.
Step 4: If you need to preview a question, click on the magnifying glass icon located to the right of the question.
Step 5: Once you click to add selected questions or click a plus sign to add a question, you will be returned to the Editing quiz window.
Note: Educational Media Technologies can assist you with book publisher questions banks.
Adding a random question
Adding a random question is the Add activity that allows you to add questions from a pre-created (or uploaded) question bank randomly.
Step 1: Once you select + a random question, the Add a random question window opens. To add random questions from an existing category, click the Category drop down menu and select the bank of questions.
Step 2: Using the Number of random questions drop down menu, select how many random question you want. Click the Add random question button. You are now back at the Editing quiz window.
Step 3: When you are finished building your quiz return to your course home page and click on the quiz to preview it.
Quizzes are automatically graded except if you use essay questions, which need to be manually graded.
Step 1: In your course, click on the quiz to open it.
Step 2: Click on the Attempts link.
Step 3: The screen that opens lists all the student’s attempts for the quiz. You can review each individual attempt, open and review each answer per question, delete attempts, and if needed, Regrade attempts.
Review attempt: While reviewing a quiz attempt you can see when the student took the quiz, how long it took them to take it, their grade, each question and the answer they gave, and the correct answer. You can also add comments and/or change the mark they received for each question.
For Moodle help, contact the NMC Technology Helpdesk at 231-995-3020