By Janet Lively
Thank you to colleagues who gave us feedback on our Embrace the Dream faculty service project. Although we would like to hear from more of you, the feedback we’ve had so far has been positive. Fifty-eight percent of respondents said we should do it again, while 31 percent said “maybe.”
We especially appreciate feedback on improving a future faculty service event. The two top suggestions were to have more one-off events and more service opportunities the week before classes. Other ideas were to have more NMC-generated projects, more group projects, and a broader range of projects.
Here are a few more suggestions:
- Have the timeframe go longer than one month.
- Drop-in service opportunities on campus would be amazing
- I would be interested in one-time weekend projects
- Share information about projects sooner
- Have service opportunities on August and/or October PD days
- Let faculty design their own projects
Finally, some respondents said they wanted their ongoing service work to be acknowledged instead of being asked to do more. Our thinking was that less time sitting in a PD workshop meant more hours available for service, but that message didn’t recognize that some faculty are already spending substantial time on their service work.
We’ll keep the survey open through Friday. Please share your thoughts!